Sunday, October 12, 2008

Some of My Best Friends are Stuffed Animals

Saturday was another family crafting afternoon with my sister Molly and mom. My mom and sister spent most of the afternoon trying to make Molly some Oompa Loompa pants for Halloween. Although they got a good start, next year I think Molly should go as a ghost.

I set my sights on more adorable projects. I was super excited to finally start using all my new books, and after a supply run on Friday I was ready to go. Let the fun begin!

 The first project to share is my stuffed "Sprite" from The Cute Book.

He is pretty adorable and was really easy to make. He is made of felt, some embroidery floss, thread and poly-fill. He was also very cheap. He does not contain any actually Sprite or other lemon-lime flavored soda.

I was able to do all of the stitching by hand, although next time I will be more careful so he doesn't look so much like Frankenstein. 

Molly made a rather adorable bunny. I am sure she will post him/her over at her blog.

My second project was my first shot at wool felting! It was really easy to catch on, and it turned out better than I expected. The book Little Felted Animals that I blogged about last time was a pretty good guide. It was rather time consuming and those barbed felting needles are a little dangerous, but it was well worth it. One word of caution, I was not able to find the right kind of eyes at the craft store, so my little friend is eyeless. With no further ado, here is my FIRST wool felt creation....


Bunny!!!!!!

And because an eyeless bunny is disturbing, I drew some pupils on some pins for a temporary fix...

Bunny with Eyes!!!!!


Admire the Quality.


Well it is 'tock-tober

I will definitely be making more stuffed animals, and I have already started my next felting project (although my pup Hannah helped undue some of that project earlier this morning).  

Until next time...




6 comments:

Nico said...

so cute!!!!!!! especially the bunn-bunn. I want one!

Molly said...

Though I find it disturbing that they are set up in scenarios, it's also cute and they are very well made. I think you should make felt animals as favors for all my wedding guests. It'll only take, oh, 500 hours to make them all.

Kyle D'Auria said...

I have been drifting all day! We'll have to have an arts and crafts day since you want to learn how to screen print, and I equally want to learn how to make creepy stuffed animals and strategically take pictures of them around my home to further exacerbate their creepiness.

Kyle D'Auria said...

I clocked 197km/hour today on Broadway, and the cops couldn't do anything about it. I don't mean to mock the stuffies, they are intricate and cute, really! Lil' Bow Wow tried to sell me over priced Air Jordans today - what a chump.

Hellen H. said...

Those are impressive and adorable all at once.

Jenny Brew said...

this bunny is perfection!