Thursday, October 2, 2008

Time for a New Camera!!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my beloved Canon is no longer with us. Technically it still takes pictures, but the LCD screen is kaput. It is time to put this horse to pasture.

This is the tricky part! There are so many options out there. I plan to invest in a nice digital SLR so that I can toy around and try to take some artsy shots, but I also want to have a convenient point and shot camera. I am 80% sure I want the BRAND new Canon Powershot 990 IS. In black, of course. The thing doesn't even come out until tomorrow.

To be fair, I have heard some awesome things about Nikon cameras. Introducing the contender, the Nikon COOLPIX P6000.


The Nikon has a really cool vintage look to it, the Canon not so much. It also has the ability to manual focus. The downsides are: it is larger and heavier, the performance seems just about the same even though the Nikon is about $100 more, and it is call "COOLPIX"- so uncool.
Any opinions on the matter?

3 comments:

Nico said...

While a point-n-click is so unbelievably easy and pleasant, definitely go for the bigger and more expensive cam if you want good-looking artsy photos. It really depends on which route you want more.

Molly said...

I say get the Canon as just a regular old swing-it-around camera. But if you want to do real photography and get sweet pictures, get something even bigger and more expensive than that Nikon in addition to the Canon.

Dating Girl said...

If you're looking for a great SLR, look at the Canon XT. It's a little older now, so should be a great deal! (I didn't like the changes they made in the newer XTi). I have the Canon 40D. Its a great camera, but cost me $1,600 (with an awesome IS lens tho). I think the price might have dropped a bit by now.